List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: ruby incredibly slow (update 2)
From:       "Bill Kelly" <billk () cts ! com>
Date:       2007-11-21 0:46:26

From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@cesmail.net>

> Bill Kelly wrote:
>>
>> From: "Ron Jeffries" <ronjeffries@acm.org>
>>>
>>> Update:
>>>
>>> Rather than follow any of the radical solutions like new computers or
>>> formatting my hard drive, I purchased and downloaded some system
>>> cleaning tools from uniblue software.
>>>
>>> Ran them and the Ruby tests now run //faster// than Chet's machine.
>>> And for some reason, the total number of I/Os recorded has dropped
>>> from 65,000 to 25,000.
>>
>> Wow - weird!  :D
>
> Not really -- sounds like a fragmented drive.

I was assuming *all* the different odd slowdowns discussed on
the thread were remedied.  (Including the 15 second
Socket.gethostbyname on localhost.)  Maybe I shouldn't assume
that.

But still, a 15x speedup just from a defrag???  That would still
fit the 'weird' category from my personal experience.  (But then,
I have zero experience with tablet PC's.)

Regards,

Bill

(The 15x figure comes from earlier on the thread where Ron was
comparing various rails tasks on his system compared to Chet's.)