List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: ruby incredibly slow (update 2)
From:       "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb () cesmail ! net>
Date:       2007-11-21 0:19:10

Bill Kelly wrote:

> From: "Ron Jeffries" <ronjeffries@acm.org>
>>
>> Update:
>>
>> Rather than follow any of the radical solutions like new computers or
>> formatting my hard drive, I purchased and downloaded some system
>> cleaning tools from uniblue software.
>>
>> Ran them and the Ruby tests now run //faster// than Chet's machine.
>> And for some reason, the total number of I/Os recorded has dropped
>> from 65,000 to 25,000.
>
> Wow - weird!  :D
>

> Regards,
>
> Bill

Not really -- sounds like a fragmented drive. By the way, Windows XP
does have a defragmenter built in and can do some cleaning, but the
commercial tools are worth the money. I'm guessing, since he was
experimenting with Rails, that the IE caches were full of doodoo.

And to John Carter -- Linux gets fragmented and crap buildup on hard
drives too. But the filesystems are a tad more efficient, especially the
non-ext3 ones. :) Reiser 3 is a good compromise, but there *are* faster
ones.