List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: ruby incredibly slow (update 2)
From:       Jay Levitt <jay+news () jay ! fm>
Date:       2007-11-19 9:00:01

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 23:56:57 -0500, Ron Jeffries wrote:

> Well, this is in the range of hoo boy, 15x slower than Chet's laptop,
> which is otherwise comparable or possibly slower.

Yeah, you've definitely got a degenerate-case condition (or maybe a few)
going on there.  That reverse-lookup thing is interesting as well, but I
know less about TCP performance on Windows than file I/O performance, so
this is the streetlight I'm looking under - hopefully Bill can keep
troubleshooting with you on the TCP/DNS thing.

I was trying to repro your problem so I could compare how long that one
line takes on my system - and what calls it makes - but there are a bunch
of runner.rb scripts, none in the normal path, and they don't seem to run
via the command you described.

You're running Instant Rails 1.7, right?  Launching the Ruby (not Rails)
console from the menu option?  If so, what directory are you changing to
before the "ruby runner.rb ruby" command?

--
Jay Levitt                |
Boston, MA                | My character doesn't like it when they