List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: Ruby GUI with IDE
From:       "Joseph" <jlhurtado () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-11-13 4:10:09

There seems to be a few IDEs for Ruby GUIs in Windows or Linux, if
anyone has tried them, comments are welcome!, so here they are with
some initial comments added:

Komodo 4 Beta
http://www.activestate.com/products/komodo/beta.plex
Probably one of the best of the lot, actively developed but it only
integrates TK support.  GUI tools available with the professional
version only.

BlackAdder
http://www.thekompany.com/products/blackadder/index.php3
It integrates QT and an IDE for Ruby or Python. It is Commercial, but
how good is it?  Never tried it before.

Eric IDE
http://www.die-offenbachs.de/detlev/eric.html
Open source, looks unpolished.

Ruby in Steel
http://www.sapphiresteel.com/
You need VS2005 for it to work, but looks promising. Windows only.
Free for the time being, but will be commercial, and you do need VS2005
for it to work.

Finally... if you seriously want to do "cross-platform" development,
probably using C++ and QT is the best bet, not free, BUT solid, fast
and there are a lot of successful desktops app out there built with it.
 Ruby seems better suited for Web apps, at least for the time being.

Joseph Hurtado
Web Developer
from Toronto