List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: [ANN] QtRuby 1.4.7
From:       David Vallner <david () vallner ! net>
Date:       2006-11-08 23:19:43

Vincent Fourmond wrote:
>> I guess I am just trying to gauge the chances of a qt ruby gem being built?
>
>   If I understood right, you're looking for a gem that would also
> include Qt4 libraries, is it right ? There would be no legal problem in
> distributing it, but I think it will be rather tricky to make. I hope
> I'm wrong.

I'm fairly sure that the wx gem comes / used to come (no idea about the
changes with the SWIG rewrite) with wx linked into it. I'm not quite
sure that it's the best solution (people might want to use a custom wx
version), but if the build configuration was sane, it's probably good
enough for most purposes people will need and the ones that can make a
custom wx build can as well make a custom wxRuby from it.

Digressions aside, I don't think this would be technically infeasible
for Qt. Either Qt is designed (on Windows) to be statically linked into
an executable, in which case doing so for a Ruby extension library
shouldn't be a problem, or to be provided as a separate runtime DLL, in
which case dropping in this DLL into Ruby's bin directory should solve
the problem on any NT-based version of Windows - and I think rubygems
already lets you install an executable, so making this the DLL for
qtruby-mswin32 shouldn't be a problem.

David Vallner