List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: [ANN] QtRuby 1.4.7
From:       Vincent Fourmond <vincent.fourmond () 9online ! fr>
Date:       2006-11-08 15:06:49

Shea Martin wrote:
> What are the legal issues of creating a rubygem for Qt (which included
> necessary .so/.dll's)?  I am starting  a GUI project in about a month,
> and am trying to decide whether to go with wx or qt.  The fact that
> there is a wx gem, makes it sooo much easier for people to install my app.

  Qt4 and QtRuby are GPL, which means that if you distribute you project
to anyone, you'll need to do so under GPL -- so you'll have to make
OpenSource software. If that doesn't bother you, that's all the legal
problems you'll have. It also applies to any Qt rubygem.

> I guess I am just trying to gauge the chances of a qt ruby gem being built?

  If I understood right, you're looking for a gem that would also
include Qt4 libraries, is it right ? There would be no legal problem in
distributing it, but I think it will be rather tricky to make. I hope
I'm wrong.

	Vince

--
Vincent Fourmond, PhD student