List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: Need Help Selecting a GUI
From:       Emmanuel Touzery <emmanuel.touzery () wanadoo ! fr>
Date:       2004-05-18 13:36:41

Joao Pedrosa wrote:

>Hi,
>

>>4. Gtk
>>pros: plenty of widgets; antialiasing
>>cons: supposed to be unstable on Win32; requires
>>large download on
>>Win32 machines; X-ish interface
>>

>"supposed to be unstable on Win32"
>
>Maybe. But I used to run my own Ruby-GNOME2 IRC client
>on Windows just fine. Once in a while you may find a
>bug (not really related to Windows), but if it's
>reproducible, it's fixable :)

GTK is working OK under win32 nowadays, the installation is easy (and
many geeks already have gimp under win32 anyway ;O) ). Some things don't
work as well as under linux, but you *really* have to look for them
nowadays (at least from my experience). For instance, I have problems
with drag&drop: only drag&drop of files or folders seem to work when
talking to other applications (which is of course what you want 90% of
the time) [1]. That's the only win32 specific problem I had with GTK so far.

Otherwise GTK has some policies that can get frustrating (for me at
least). like cancel-ok button order, and double-click for the open/save
file dialog, and i don't think you can override those (although most
people wouldn't mind the double-click i guess). GTK also comes with a
set of nice icons that you can use.

finally FOX has quite some limitations, but it's true that under windows
you can ship a 1.5Mb .exe with FOX and ruby included (but under linux
FOX is rarely installed so there you go..).

Also, maybe you want to investigate printing. FOX doesn't support it,
maybe GTK only under linux  (??) etc.

emmanuel

[1] I wanted to get drops from mozilla or internet explorer of anything
(urls or text) and couldn't. Otherwise, drops from explorer of files or
folders are OK