List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: Need examples comparing Ruby to Python
From:       Tobias Nurmiranta <spyck () lysator ! liu ! se>
Date:       2004-02-24 22:37:34

Hi,

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Hal Fulton wrote:
> If I do:
>
>    def func(word)
>      consonants = word.gsub(/[aeiou]/,"")
>      puts consonants
>    end
>
>    words.each {|word| func(word) }
>
> then I have still used a block, one that happens to call a function
> (with a name) that will only be used once.

A difference between ruby and python is that functions can easily be
passed as arguments in python. For example a function that returns the
composition of two functions applied to a value. (An artificial example :)

def compose(f, g, x):
    return f(g(x))

But then this is even more nicer i scheme.

(defun (compose f g)
  (lambda (x) (f (g x))) ;; returns a function, that can be applied later.

((compose 1+ 1+) 1) => 3

In ruby you have to create a Method instance first, and then pass it as an
argument. (newbie warning. :)

,	Tobias