List:       ros-general
Subject:    [ros-general] Re: Freeldr UI modifications
From:       mf <mf () mufunyo ! net>
Date:       2005-11-25 11:05:22

João Jerónimo Barata de Oliveira wrote:
> Well, indeed there's a boot loader that works very much like this...
> GRUB uses that sector to store some parts of the program... but I don't
> know if it stores there the config and I think that would be essencial
> (because, in my opinion, a boot loader needs to be independent from
> operating systems so, for example, there could be configuration floppy
> disks for changing its configuration)...
> As Grub is very similar (or parhaps identic) to my description of the
> ideal boot loader, I would like you to chose Grub as ReactOS boot loader
> (either by modifying it's configuration or by installing it from
> scratch, depending on the pré-install configuration)... That is, of
> course, also making ReactOS multiboot-compilant if it isn't already (It
> doesn't look like that)...

Any ReactOS boot loader must be able to read the registry and detect
hardware. It's the way NT works, because NTLDR does sort of the same
thing as well. Freeldr isn't a generic boot loader, it's the ReactOS
boot loader. It's been said time and again, if you like Grub, then set
Freeldr timeout to 0 (it won't display any menu and will immediately
boot ReactOS), and chainload Freeldr through Grub. I really don't at all
see what this idea of yours might have to do with ReactOS. Not only
that, but it's very OT to this ML discussion.

mf