List:       redhat-list
Subject:    Re: how does email work in redhat 9?
From:       "Benjamin J. Weiss" <benjamin () weiss ! name>
Date:       2003-09-24 2:32:54

> ok, since i've been trying to get procmail to work for the past few days,
i've also gotten interested in how email works in general.  i noticed on my
home system, i can email between all my users just by using mutt and
emailing to "username@localhost.localdomain" or even just emailing to
"username".  when i do that, i notice that stuff ends up in
/var/spool/mail/username.  interesting.  so i thought, maybe i can email
myself from outside my lan, i.e. send an email to
"cjb@my_numerical_ip_address" from an external email account (like hotmail)
and it would end up in /var/spool/email/cjb and i would be able to see it
with mutt.  wrong!  why not though?  where can i read about how email work
in linux?  specifically redhat 9?

Good!  An interest in how things work is always a good beginning. :)

One good place to start is:  http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/

Another is: http://www.tldp.org

In your particular case, you're running into the default security setup for
mail transport agents (MTA) like sendmail and postfix in RH. By default, RH
comes configured to be able to send email but not receive it.  This is to
help keep open relays off of the internet.

First you'll need to ensure that you open port 25 on your firewall.

Next you should look at:
http://www.redhat.com/support/resources/howto/RH-postfix-HOWTO/x118.html

It's long, but it goes through all of the main.cf configuration file.  It
should help you out.

Ben