List:       redhat-list
Subject:    how does email work in redhat 9?
From:       christopher j bottaro <cjb () cs ! utexas ! edu>
Date:       2003-09-24 1:34:05

ok, since i've been trying to get procmail to work for the past few days, i've also gotten interested in how email works in general.  i noticed on my home system, i can email between all my users just by using mutt and emailing to "username@localhost.localdomain" or even just emailing to "username".  when i do that, i notice that stuff ends up in /var/spool/mail/username.  interesting.  so i thought, maybe i can email myself from outside my lan, i.e. send an email to "cjb@my_numerical_ip_address" from an external email account (like hotmail) and it would end up in /var/spool/email/cjb and i would be able to see it with mutt.  wrong!  why not though?  where can i read about how email work in linux?  specifically redhat 9?

thanks for the info,
-- christopher