List:       redhat-list
Subject:    Re: mutt folders and filters
From:       Marc Adler <marc () adlerpacific ! com>
Date:       2003-09-19 21:03:24

* christopher j bottaro <cjb@cs.utexas.edu> [2003-09-19 10:24]:
> hello, i have a linux account at school.  to check my mail, i can ssh
> into one of the linux machines at school and just type mutt.  problem
> with that is that i'm on like 20 mailing list and my inbox is just a
> huge mess.  so instead, i use kmail from my home machine to log into
> the pop server and download all my emails and use filters to put them
> in different folders.
>
> my question is how to i filter my email in mutt, but still allow for
> my current method using pop and kmail from my home machine?

Mutt won't filter your messages. I use procmail to do that, but there
are probably other ways.

This is what you can do.

On your school computer:

1) configure fetchmail to read your messages from your pop account without
deleting them from the server ('keep').

2) use procmail to filter your messages to different mailboxes.

3) configure mutt to read those different mailboxes. (All you have to
do, actually, is point mutt to, say, 'mbox' in your /Mail directory and
then you can move around to any other mailbox or directory using the 'c'
command.)

Now, on your home computer, access your pop account as usual. All the
messages should still be there, and you can read them as usual. Your
school setup is irrelevant to how your read your messages from home as
long as those messages are still on the server.

For mutt-specific questions, you'll probably get a lot more (and more
detailed) answers if you ask the mutt mailing list
(http://www.mutt.org/mail-lists.html).

--
Fri, 19 Sep 2003 10:54:00 -1000
Linux 2.4.20-20.9