List:       redhat-list
Subject:    Re: promail folders and filters
From:       Marc Adler <marc () adlerpacific ! com>
Date:       2003-09-19 17:44:20

* christopher j bottaro <cjb@cs.utexas.edu> [2003-09-19 06:51]:
> hello, i have a linux account at school.  to check my mail, i can ssh
> into one of the linux machines at school and just type mutt.  problem
> with that is that i'm on like 20 mailing list and my inbox is just a
> huge mess.  so instead, i use kmail from my home machine to log into
> the pop server and download all my emails and use filters to put them
> in different folders.
>
> my question is if i use procmail to filter my mail into different
> maildirs on my school machine, will i still be able to download them
> all on my home machine using kmail and using pop?
>
> i.e. my school machine puts all my mail into $HOME/mailbox.  if i use
> procmail to filter mail from mailbox to different maildirs, will i
> still be able to get them all when i check my email from home via pop?

If what you want to do is bypass kmail and only use mutt on your school
machine, then just configure it to read from different mailboxes. Use
procmail to distribute the messages to the appropriate mailboxes and use
fetchmail to retreive the messages from the pop server. If you want to
use kmail also, then just set fetchmail to keep the messages on the
server. You won't be able to use kmail to read the already-distributed
messages, though.

--
Fri, 19 Sep 2003 07:22:00 -1000
Linux 2.4.20-20.9