List:       redhat-list
Subject:    Re: Updating Via RPMs
From:       Joseph A Nagy Jr <joseph_a_nagy_jr () charter ! net>
Date:       2003-05-31 17:50:54

Matthew Saltzman wrote:

>>>I think he meant to suggest getting the latest gcc *source* (not as an
>>>RPM), compile that and install it outside of the RPM system.  Then you'll
>>>have two compilers.
>>
>>Ah. Well, I have the other gcc compilers installed no problem (gccjava,
>>g77, gnat, etc)
>

> Sure.  Those are "add-ons" to gcc, and they are all the same version.  If
> you want to change the gcc *version*, you're going to have to change all
> those others too, plus some libraries (libstdc++ in particular) and any
> programs linked to those libraries.  You can have different *versions* of
> gcc on the same system, but you have to be careful about conflicts.

Isn't gcc++ also an add on to gcc? If so, why are so many programs
linked against it?

>>>The other possibility is that there were gcc-3.1 RPMs for RH7.3 that were
>>>designed to play nicely with the gcc-2.96 ones that came with it.  Maybe
>>>someone remembers where to find them.
>>>

>>I was pulling all my RPM's directly from ftp.redhat.com/pub/path/to/9.0/rpms
>

> Maybe my memory is failing me, but I thought you started with a 7.x system

7.2 to be exact. ;) I've got several binaries from RH9 plugged in
already (needed files from them, such as libmng, libpng, libjpg, all the
dependencies for FreeCiv 1.14 (including glibc2.3)).

> and wanted a gcc-3.2 compiler on it.  Your alternatives are:
>
> (1) Upgrade to RH9 (as we were discussing in the other thread).

Which I'm gonna do (BTW, someone has agreed to send me a copy of the RH9
cd's so I can upgrade via cd)

> (2) Install gcc-3.2 and libraries in /usr/local (from source, without
>     using RPM).

I've tried that. Then I've removed the RPM's and I couldn't compile
anything from source!

> (3) Find the gcc-3.1 RPMs that were meant for installation on RH7.x.

They exist? I had gcc3 (and associated add-ons) installed, but they got
removed when I installed gcc-3.2