List:       redhat-list
Subject:    Re: KDE Performance
From:       Tom Smith <tom () openadventures ! org>
Date:       2003-05-15 15:40:49

Fred Whipple wrote:

>>I'm running RedHat 9.0 with the included version of KDE on a P-II 300
>>with 190 MB of RAM.
>>
>>I haven't been able to improve KDE's performance compared to
>>other distros.
>>

>Remember, KDE is a Desktop Environment, not a Linux Distribution.  That
>aside ;-)

Despite not being a Linux distro, FreeBSD runs KDE 3.x _much_ faster
than the RedHat--thus I thought that RedHat's "eye candy" (Blucurve,
that is) may be causing the performance problems.

>>For my system, simply turning it on and logging into KDE comsumes over
>>160 MB of RAM--and that's with the minimal number of services running
>>(no Apache, MySQL, etc.).
>>
>>Can anyone offer suggestions for improving its performance?
>>

>Unfortunately NO, but I can offer sympothy.  I had been running KDE for
>years and it's just gotten slower and slower and bigger and bigger.  It's
>far, far more advanced IMHO than the other desktop environments, but I
>actually stopped running it because of its huge resource requirements and
>extremely slow performance relative to, say, (gulp) Windows on the same
>hardware.  Ultimately I ended-up running Gnome for no other reason than it's
>a complete desktop environment with a reasonably snappy interface.  I run
>Gnome primarily on a P-II 400MHz notebook with 256MB of RAM.

I hate to do this to you again but on FreeBSD booting the system _and_

I know this may be comparing apples and oranges but I think it's still a
valid point. KDE is KDE is KDE, as the saying goes. The FreeBSD distro
doesn't include all of Redhat's eye candy. It simply provides KDE as the
community distributes it.