List:       redhat-list
Subject:    RE: KDE Performance
From:       Fred Whipple <fwhipple () imagineis ! com>
Date:       2003-05-15 4:55:47

> I'm running RedHat 9.0 with the included version of KDE on a P-II 300
> with 190 MB of RAM.
>
> I haven't been able to improve KDE's performance compared to
> other distros.

Remember, KDE is a Desktop Environment, not a Linux Distribution.  That
aside ;-)

> For my system, simply turning it on and logging into KDE comsumes over
> 160 MB of RAM--and that's with the minimal number of services running
> (no Apache, MySQL, etc.).
>
> Can anyone offer suggestions for improving its performance?

Unfortunately NO, but I can offer sympothy.  I had been running KDE for
years and it's just gotten slower and slower and bigger and bigger.  It's
far, far more advanced IMHO than the other desktop environments, but I
actually stopped running it because of its huge resource requirements and
extremely slow performance relative to, say, (gulp) Windows on the same
hardware.  Ultimately I ended-up running Gnome for no other reason than it's
a complete desktop environment with a reasonably snappy interface.  I run
Gnome primarily on a P-II 400MHz notebook with 256MB of RAM.

I guess my point is, if I can find one at this late hour :-) that I
personally gave up on performance tuning KDE and just switched instead; I
don't think KDE can be any less resource intensive than it seems to be.  The
interface and widgets are excellently planned and compose a great UI but
they're so layered in so many libraries and layers of objects, the end
result is sluggish and hoggish :-/

	-Fred