List:       redhat-list
Subject:    RE: X - what causes shadow images?
From:       "Furnish, Trever G" <TGFurnish () herff-jones ! com>
Date:       2003-02-22 19:58:14

Thanks for the input.  I've used MetroX in the past, but I'm hoping to stick
with XF86 and just learn how to fix this one - I don't actually use X
directly on this system very often.  The thing is I don't really think it's
a driver issue - I've had similar issues many times in the past with many
chipsets and many different monitors, just never taken the time to figure
out the cause.

Current chipset is an ATI Rage128 which X identifies as ATI Mach64.  The
problem doesn't *feel* like a driver problem - it just seems like it must be
something wrong in the definition of the monitor in the config file, like
maybe the sync rates are just slightly off.  I wish I could take a
screenshot, but of course the screenshot would look normal on someone else's
computer.

Question: how do I force X to use the sync rates I want it to?  I've
manually listed only one hsync and vsync instead of using a range, but X
still adjusts them a little.  Here are the bits from my xf86config-4:

        HorizSync 106.3
        VertRefresh 85
        Modeline "1600x1200"   229.50   1600 1680 1872 2140
                               1200 1213 1216 1254 +hsync +vsync

Xvidtune shows thta the modeline settings were applied, but it shows a
horizontal sync rate of 107.24 and a vertical sync rate of 85.52 - off just
a little from what I specified (which were the numbers straight out of
themanual).

--
trever