List:       redhat-devel
Subject:    question on libc-devel package and header files
From:       "Nik I. Knoth" <nik () sri ! com>
Date:       1997-06-11 17:54:33

request for help/info:

If you have *any* idea, i could really use some help...

background:

I recently tried compiling a C program (called ypsnarf) which uses
a number of system calls.  This program tried to include the
bootparam.h file in the /usr/include/rpcsvc directory.  My linux
(v4.1 i believe), has bootparam and bootparam.x in this include
dir, but no bootparam.h.

Next step was to surf www.redhat.com and read all docs i could
find in the hopes of finding more info.  They recc'd having these
packages in order to do devel work:

	gcc, binutils, kernel-source,
	libc-include, libc-devel, make

I ck'd and found that all but libc-include were on my system.  I
then went back to the cd-roms and installed all pkg.s i could find
which might be even peripherally related.  Didn't find a
libc-include anywhere, tho.

Next, i went to ftp://tsx-11.mit.edu/pub/linux/packages.  DL'd the
latest libc and gcc packages and installed them.  Still missing .h
files.  I then read thru the archives looking for info on header files.
Found nothing relevant...

Tried a find on the system to see if it might be anywhere else:

	find / -name "*boot*.h" -print

No joy.  :(

Someone else in the office (on the same version of RH linux)
ran into a similar problem with some nfs header files.

Question:

Am i overlooking something?
Are there .h files missing?
Does linux handle .h files in some other way such that the C
 code needs to be rewritten to not ask for these files?
Is there a libc-include package somewhere that i should have?
What do i do to get these packages to compile???

Again, any thoughts at all on this would be muchly appreciated...

Thanx. :)

-nik
--
Nik I. Knoth					nik@sri.com
Information and Network Security		ph:  415.859.6428