List:       qubes-devel
Subject:    Re: [qubes-devel] guest OS support matrix
From:       Zrubi <mail () zrubi ! hu>
Date:       2016-01-13 21:53:37

On 01/13/2016 07:20 PM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:

> I think the answer here is (in practice): R2: fc21 (which is no
> longer supported by Fedora)

Here I can see some problems - details below.

> R3.0: fc21, (fc22), fc23 R3.1: fc21, (fc22), fc23

Here we should follow the Fedora release schedule:

"We say maintained for approximately 13 months because the supported
period for releases is dependent on the date the release under
development goes final. As a result, Release X is supported until one
month after the release of Release X+2."
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Release_Life_Cycle#Maintenance_Sch
edule

If you follow this you can drop the F21 support right now.

> R2: supported until Oct 1 2016 - a year after releasing R3.0
>
> Generally IMO we should encourage users to upgrade to newest
> available version, so maybe even harder policy, like: - full
> support up to 6 months after releasing the next stable release -
> security fixes only, within next 6 months
>
> What do you all think about it?

6+6 months support sounds reasonable - but in addition you should keep
up with the guest OS vendor(s) as well:

The current state of R2 seems to be a dead end right now - because you
only plan to support F21 template/packages, but that has no support
from the OS vendor any more (already end of life)

So If you want to keep the R2 support till Oct 1 2016 you should
provide fedora templates/packages that are still supported by Fedora
till that time.

R3.0 and further not have any problems for now - so it is still a good
time to decide and declare :)

Regarding to forcing the users to the new versions:

The only problem source can be the 'new' release numbering.

The R3.0 for example is the official latest stable - however that is
not a real stable release - at least as I see. Mainly because it was
break some major features of R2 and we had numerous hardware
compatibility problem reports as well. And never reached the stability
and maturity of the R2 release
(That was the reason for me to step back to R2 - and stick with that
till now)

- --
Zrubi