List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] Quanta+ fpr KDE 4 - GSOC
From:       Loren Nozot <lnozot () comtech360 ! com>
Date:       2010-02-25 0:06:30

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hello All!

I am a user of Quanta+.

I understand the comments and professionalism of not using a GUI to create a
website.  However, I do use the split function to check tables and layout of
a site to help find errors in code.

Features I use in Q+:

Standard, Style, Tables, Lists, Forms, and Other tabs
Ability to set short-cuts for bold, button definitions, etc.
Document Structure
php, html, xhtml, css coding color highlighting
normal editing helps: indent, tabs, etc
WYSIWYG to check tables and layout as debugging tool (would be nice to have
colored borders for cells)
Multiple tabs for open files, and project management
Like the tools to check xhtml, html, etc.
Also, like the tools to reformat code into usable fashion from a previous
site which I didn't code.

Thanks!
Loren

> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 11:38:27 +0100
> From: Milian Wolff <mail@milianw.de>
> Subject: [quanta-devel] Quanta+ for KDE 4 - GSOC
> To: quanta-devel@kde.org
>
> Hey all!
>
> If you don't know me: I'm one of the KDevelop 4 hackers whipping up PHP
> support, Snippets and the GenericManager among other things.
>
> I've been contributing for about a year now and this time I finally want to
> apply for GSOC. My idea is it to revive the Quanta+ product and ship
> something
> useable for webdevelopers. I want to concentrate on:
>
> - polish Quanta+ to bring it up to par to KDevelop
> - remove obsolete cruft and unfinished code to playground and instead
> concentrate on polishing the plugins we have for KDevplatform
> - remove KDE 3 code (the deprecated stuff)
> - introduce some kind of HTML support based on the KDevplatform framework
>
> At the beginning I'd probably move most of the Quanta code to playground as
> it's outdated and not integrated into the KDevplatform. Then I'd put in the
> gems from playground/extragear that are useful for web development: PHP,
> CSS,
> XDebug, ExecuteScript, CrossFire, XML, Upload, ...
>
> Additionally there are parts in the KDevplatform that would need work,
> among
> others I'd like to hide some actions in Quanta that are useful for compiled
> languages (most / all of the build process) and change the default set of
> toolviews to the needs of a webdeveloper.
>
> This way me and Niko think that one could get to the point where Quanta
> would
> be a useful product again. Some parts would actually be better than
> anything
> else it ever had, esp. the PHP support. Other areas though will lack or die
> in
> the process, and this is also something I'd like to have your feedback on:
>
> What Quanta+3 Feature are you relying on?
>
> I personally never used the inline HTML-preview. Imo WYSIWYG is not
> applicable
> to webdevelopers, it simply messes up to much and is too unreliable. Hence
> I'd
> drop it. Users that quickly want to have a website without the need to know
> HTML should not use an editor at all. They should get a Wordpress account
> or
> similar and be done with it.
>
> Also stuff like the custom toolbars are something I'd like to remove.
> Instead
> one should use snippets, Kate scripts, ... I actually did create some
> actions
> back when I used Quanta3 but never once it was an action important enough
> be shown in a toolbar.
>
> So what do you think? May I proceed and try to create a useful Quanta+ for
> KDE
> 4?
>
> Have a nice day
> [...]

[Attachment #5 (text/html)]

professionalism of not using a GUI to create a website.  However, I do use the split \
function to check tables and layout of a site to help find errors in code.<br>

tabs<br>Ability to set short-cuts for bold, button definitions, etc.<br>Document \
Structure<br>php, html, xhtml, css coding color highlighting<br>

normal editing helps: indent, tabs, etc<br>WYSIWYG to check tables and layout as \
debugging tool (would be nice to have colored borders for cells)<br>Multiple tabs for \
open files, and project management<br>Like the tools to check xhtml, html, etc.<br> \
Also, like the tools to reformat code into usable fashion from a previous site which \
                solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-left: 1ex;">
Message: 1<br>