List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] [Quanta] Who wants to move Quanta forward?
From:       Niko Sams <niko.sams () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-12-28 10:19:57

Hi,

> What's the strategy for moving Quanta forward?  Is the plan to make it part of
> KDevelop? ie. A plugin approach?  Create a web dev project template?  or will
> it remain a separate application?
Quanta is a separate application built on kdevplatform, just as
kdevelop. The only
difference is the splashscreen and the default set of plugins.

> Is there a guide for getting a basic development environment set up for quanta
> development?  ie. I am used to eclipse development where we install a specific
> version of eclipse and java and then check out the latest code from svn.  Are
> there instructions for doing that with kdevelop?  In other open source
> projects I have been involved with, that is the first step.
You checkout from svn trunk and build like described here:
http://www.kdevelop.org/mediawiki/index.php/KDevelop_4/compiling
I'd suggest you build and use kdevelop, as quanta is currently not
really tested.
Additionally you want to compile some web plugins (php, xdebug).

> So, what's the strategy, and how does a beginner get started?
Either you pick a plugin (for example html langauge support), or you hack
kdevplatform directly - depending on what you want to implement.
Best would be to pick a topic and ask either here or on irc #kdevelop
for more information.

Niko