List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] Questions about Quanta+ development
From:       Niko Sams <niko.sams () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-07-18 17:11:02

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 19:01, Saulo Soares de
Toledo<saulotoledo@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > We will have visual editing support?
>> > I would like to see the project design, maybe I can starting help by
>> > here
>> > with usability... I'm a little lost here, but will try compile the SVN
>> > code
>> > and see how it's working. :-)
>> No support for visual editing exists so far. Personally I don't have
>> any interest in this...
>
> On Linux we need a graphical IDE to Web development. I work with web for
> some years, then I see how many time is lost to mount a sequence of websites
> without a good graphical IDE.
>
> Applications like NVU and Komposer try do this, but with really bad
> generated code, and poor IDE. And the projects are discontinued...
>
> See, on a little or medium Web company, we have all we need:
> - Gimp
> - Eclipse + plugins
> - L-A-M-P
> - Postgree
> - Desktop Software
>
> Except: a graphical IDE to HTML / CSS....
>
> See how many contributors we can get if we can migrate their companies
> too...
>
> Particulary I don't need this at time, I'm developer, but I can't migrate
> others machines here because proprietary IDEs give us about 60-70% more time
> with some production steps. On companies this is a percentage
> unquestionable... :-(
>
> Aptana IDE (or it's plugin for eclipse) is the best CSS editor I already
> saw, better than all proprietary software I used, but...
>
> Well, this is my initial comentary about the graphical editor. Not for this
> release, but IMO it's a good thing to think.
>
> We have numbers, we have people who needs this, we have multiplatform
Sure - there would be users for visual html editing. Quanta3 even had it. If we
find developers implementing that - great!

I just said *I* won't work on that, others are free to do so of course. Good
visual editing that creates good HTML/CSS is very difficult, if not impossible.
(but that depends on how you define "good" code). Imho visual editing
should happen in an CMS.

Niko