List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] Where implement Upload Profiles?
From:       Andras Mantia <amantia () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-01-04 13:38:25

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi,

 here are my thoughts as well. :)

On Friday 04 January 2008, Jens Herden wrote:

> > I would like to help developing Quanta4. I have some Qt4
> > experience, hopefully enough...

That's be great!

> > I thought a not too hard job would be the upload profiles (imho the
> > most useful Quanta3-feature).

Good choice, also because it is important to work on what you like.

> > Now my questions:
> > - Should this be a new plugin - or added to the projectfilemanager?
>
> I would say this should go in a plugin itself so that people who
> don't need this feature can disable it.

I agree with this.

> However that does not say
> anything about how it will get presented inside of the GUI. In my
> mind was already an idea to make the projectfilemanager flexible so
> that other plugins can display their stuff there. Something along the
> line of creating a wrapper model or so. However the easiest solution
> is to create your own widget(s) for this.

Well, you can do as in Quanta3 or come up with an integrated solution.
Probably a separate widget is the easiest. In my opinion upload
profiles should contain also the upload treeviews for different servers
and the code which does the actual upload. Here a new, and often asked
feature, would be to synchronize the server with the local project (two
way synch).

> > - for now it would be the easiest to reuse the .session file from
> > Quanta3 projects
>
> Where to store the information is something I and Andras have thought
> about already but we did not come to any final solution. I think one
> way would be to use custom fileitems which can handle additional data
> from Quanta.

Yes, the storage format should probably be changed. But as long as in
the code it is well separated, you can store right now in the .session
file in XML, and we can change it later to something else.

> > - how do I add a upload-file action to the context-menu of the
> > project-view
>
> There is a way to add actions to the context menu. The way how to do
> it changed in kdevelop4 but you should be able to find examples.
> Either in Quanta4 or Kdevelop4.

If you cannot find it, I'll look at the code and post the example.

> > - > where could be the dialog to edit the upload-profiles
> > (belongs to some project-properties - which don't exist yet(?))
>
> There is a standard way to add configuration pages for plugins.
> Please check kdev-platform for this. There should be some examples
> already.

You have to create separate kcm dialogs (kcontrol modules) and they
could be integrated then to the project options page. Examples are in
kdevplatform and kdevelop.

Andras