List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] KImageMapEditor, dock widgets and Qt4...
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () easystreet ! com>
Date:       2006-08-18 17:54:21

On Thursday 17 August 2006 6:09 pm, Eric Pignet wrote:
> Hi,
> I managed to compile all KDevelop and kdewebdev.
> In its current state in svn, KImageMapEditor crashes at startup. A problem
> at runtime in a Qt3 compatibility class, KParts::DockMainWindow3.
>
> Instead of loosing time to make it work, I decided to migrate all dock
> widgets to kdelibs4/Qt4. But I saw that KDockWidget are not present any
> more in trunk. I thought that it was because Qt4 widgets provided enough
> features and that a KDE version was not needed.
> So I updated KIME to use QDockWidgets. KIME runs now but... Impossible to
> dock several widgets at the same place. It does not create tabs like with
> KDock classes.
>
> My questions are:
> - Are there plans to write KDock classes for KDE4 ?
> - Will Qt widgets evolve and allow 'tab docking' ?
> - Have one of you met the same problem that I ?
>
> Thank you,
> Eric

Hi Eric,
welcome to the insanity. ;-) Most of KDE development is very rational, but you
hit the one spot that is frustrating. I will do my best to offer a quick
explanation. The KDock classes for KDE3 were sort of a mess. So everybody set
out to rewrite what they wanted. The Kate guys have a simple small library
that suits their needs and are adamant about not adding anything to it to
serve anyone else because they want to make sure it's not a mess... (Insert
mildly paranoid cautious excuse here) The KDevelop guys set about writing one
that would do everything which could be a standard library. Interestingly
last year at aKademy they were close in concept and file size, but the Kate
KMDI/docking worked and the KDevelop one, being more ambitious, was buggy. We
tried to broker a standard library for KDE out of it but there was no
reconciling the two perspectives. Since we will be using the KDevelop
framework for Quanta and probably Kommander it will be accessed in most usage
scenarios, and it should do everything you need. That would be my
recommendation.

I may have missed some other rewrites and of course you could write the nth
rewrite of the KDock classes. ;-)

Eric