List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] file modification checking gone in Quanta 3.5.2?
From:       Andras Mantia <amantia () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-04-22 13:48:22

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 22 April 2006 14:47, Brian G. Peterson wrote:
> In Quanta 3.5.2 (from Gentoo package kde-base/kdewebdev-3.5.2)
>
> No external change to the file has been detected since I upgraded
> from kdewebdev 3.5.1, to the best of my ability to determine.  I have
> recompiled kdewebdev 3.5.2, and the problem persists.

I checked the commits and there is no change in the code which shows the
dialog/handles the notifications of the "file changed" signal between
3.5.1 and 3.5.2. I also tested and it notices if I change an opened
file in an external editor (Kate here) and save it.

> Is there anything specific I should check?  Or any other information
> that would help track this down?

Do you see the notification in Kate (from kdebase 3.5.2)? Do you have
DNOTIFY enabled in the kernel? Or do you have fam/gamin installed and
running (I don't recommend to do it, as it caused notifications even if
it was not needed in Quanta, but might worth a try)?

Shortly: Quanta just reacts to signals sent from the KDE libraries if a
file which is "watched" was modified. The KDE libraries can get the
signal in a various way:
- from a deamon process (fam or gamin)
- from the kernel via dnotify/inotify (but inotify was broken in some
kernel versions)
- by polling the disk regularly if none of the above is present

I believe something is wrong at the low-level stage.

Andras