List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] how to proceed with Quanta?
From:       Andras Mantia <amantia () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-12-20 7:29:26

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 20 December 2005 03:30, Jens Herden wrote:
> > Sometimes changes are needed. Mostly when there is a bug, like it
> > was also when we started kdevquanta in the plugin loading code of
> > KDevelop.
>
> Oh I am getting old, what was the problem here again. Which is the
> lowest version of KDevelop we can use for Kuanta?

I think 3.3 (shipped with KDE 3.5) is required because of some bugs, but
in general it works with 3.2.x as well.

> Yes working in a team is not easier than alone but the result is
> often much better. So I would like to work together with you and not
> in two different parts. The parser is so important that it deserves
> the 4 eyes approach.

I agree with you.

> So let me summarize: We are going to work on the parser and the
> internal data structure now. When this is finished we will try to
> create a release and after this we will switch to KDE4.
Fine for me.

> To reduce the workload a bit I would suggest to rework only the
> parser for HTML/XML first and let the code for special areas
> untouched whereever possible.

That will be hard if we change the data structure as well. But of course
it is possible to write the new parser in a way that it calls and empty
method to parse the special areas and that method will return a simple
text node. So we detect the special areas, but do not parser in detail.
This is how it works now, the parsing is in two steps:
- parse for HTML and detect the special areas (well, a simple parsing
there is needed to find the end of the special area)
- parse one by one the found special areas

> Maybe we should start a new discussion about what we want that our
> new parser should do?

Sure, but I have not seen any new requirement yet. ;-)

Andras