List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] how to proceed with Quanta?
From:       Andras Mantia <amantia () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-12-10 9:22:56

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 10 December 2005 02:37, Jens Herden wrote:
> Hi,
>
> it looks like I will have some time for Quanta in the near future.
> Therefore I would like to start the discussion about what is next.

Good for you. I have time, but not a computer. :-)

> My current understanding is:
>
> 	- KDE 3.5 is out and we have to do only bugfixing.
Right.

> 	- Quanta 4 (Quanta in KDevelop framework) is the next step.
Right.

> From my pov we have two options for Quanta 4:
>
>    1. develop on what we have now (Kuanta) and release an
> intermediate version that runs on KDE 3.
I would like to go this way. KDevelop is also planning an intermediate
release, why not do together?

>    2. switch to KDE 4 and try to improve KDevelop 4 and Quanta 4 as
> quickly as possible.
This is also good, but it is more risky. You need to update kdelibs
frequently and be prepared to debug and fix bugs there as well. But it
has the advantage that we can spend more time on the KDE4 version. And
with a fast PC frequent updates and lots of compiling will be less of
an issue (for me).

> I am in favor of 1, I would like to see a version of Quanta with the
> KDevelop framework for KDE 3.

So let's do it as fast as we can and switch to 2.

> So the question is what would be needed for a Kuanta release? Or less
> specific what are the current plans for the next steps?

I started to fix some issue from our TODO files, but there is more to do
with porting existing functionality. So first decide a deadline for
release and after decide what is really needed for such a release, what
will be included.

> I can share with you what is in my mind in the moment. I am thinking
> about the internal structure. That means about adopting KDOM2/KHTML2
> and a new parser. This would be a major change in the architecture of
> Quanta and I think having this in a pre-release would alow some
> people to test it before we push it in Quanta 4.

I don't oppose to this, but you know, there are also many other things
missing from Kuanta at this moment.

> I also read that Eric and Andras did discuss ideas about new features
> for rapid development. Are there any documents about this?
Unfortunately the discussion happened at aKademy by talking...

> My feeling
> is that this would be good to see before we rethink the internal
> structure.

For KDE4 this is absolutely needed.

Andras