List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    [quanta-devel] how to proceed with Quanta?
From:       Jens Herden <jens () kdewebdev ! org>
Date:       2005-12-10 0:37:01

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi,

it looks like I will have some time for Quanta in the near future. Therefore I
would like to start the discussion about what is next.
My current understanding is:

	- KDE 3.5 is out and we have to do only bugfixing.
	- Quanta 4 (Quanta in KDevelop framework) is the next step.

From my pov we have two options for Quanta 4:

   1. develop on what we have now (Kuanta) and release an intermediate version
      that runs on KDE 3.

   2. switch to KDE 4 and try to improve KDevelop 4 and Quanta 4 as quickly as
      possible.

I am in favor of 1, I would like to see a version of Quanta with the KDevelop
framework for KDE 3.

So the question is what would be needed for a Kuanta release? Or less specific
what are the current plans for the next steps?

I can share with you what is in my mind in the moment. I am thinking about the
internal structure. That means about adopting KDOM2/KHTML2 and a new parser.
This would be a major change in the architecture of Quanta and I think having
this in a pre-release would alow some people to test it before we push it in
Quanta 4.

I also read that Eric and Andras did discuss ideas about new features for
rapid development. Are there any documents about this? My feeling is that
this would be good to see before we rethink the internal structure.

I am looking forward to replies.

Jens