List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] Quanta Development - Tips and Others
From:       Andras Mantia <amantia () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-11-10 10:01:31

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 09 November 2005 23:48, thorsten@staerk.de wrote:
> > Do you have some tips to make developing/hacking in Quanta faster?
> >
> > Furthermore, do you have a link or copy of the recommended
> > files/programs needed in developing Quanta?
> >
> > Fortunately, I already successfully compiled Quanta from the SVN
> > repository,
> > but still, I would like to here some from you about tips,
> > recommendations, and others so that developing Quanta will be more
> > efficient.
>
> If I understand you correctly, you want some kind of story "How I get
> into quanta development".

Uh, you might be right. I read the first sentence ("developing in
Quanta") as "writing XML pages".

Well, for every new developer who wants to join, I recommend to check
out the branches/work/kdevquanta module from svn. This is a start of
porting Quanta to the KDevelop framework. The README file there
describes how to install it. [Correction: KDevelop is needed from the
3.5 branch, not from SVN trunk!]

This version is much superior code wise to the current Quanta. It has
more class and method documentation, the structure of the code is more
logical, not monolithic, like the current one. And altough we did not
work on it since July, it will be the next Quanta and I will start to
work on it full speed once 3.5 is released (soon will happen).

The TODO file there lists some things that were not yet completed. Of
couse, many other things should be ported from the current version, but
what is there is a good start and it is already somewhat usable.

As it is mentioned you need KDevelop not for developing itself, but
because this version of Quanta depends on the KDevelop libraries.
KDevelop has its API docs available on www.kdevelop.org or you can
generate them from the source.

Once you could get it compile and started to work, you can ask questions
here.

Read the DESIGN and HACKING files as well!

I would be really happy if I could get some coding help. :-)

Andras