List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] a new crash
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () easystreet ! com>
Date:       2005-09-14 21:54:47

On Wednesday 14 September 2005 10:57 am, Paulo Moura Guedes wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 September 2005 18:27, Jens Herden wrote:
> > > I will disable the structure tree kafka functions,
> >
> > What are the consequences of this?
>
> The tree is back where it was, before I add drag and drop and the
> "Remove" (node/s) actions. Nothing special :)
>
> > > as I have no time and motivation to fix the current Kafka code.
> >
> > Same here :-)
> >
> > > I also wish a Kafka free Quanta because Kafka at a moment is so
> > > unstable. For me it could be disabled until we have the new kdom
> > > framework.
> >
> > That would mean no VPL in Quanta 3.5, right? Is this an option?
>
> I think this is a perfect question for a project leader ;)

Sure, toss it at me. You were supposed to make it perfect by now. ;-)

I don't think it's desirable to disable it at this time, even though it seems
that the larger problem is the limitations of KHTML. It has never been truly
usable in my opinion, but it's been there and has been useful on a limited
basis. I see no reason to disable it for being less than perfect right now. I
also don't know why it should be any more broken than before. That would be a
perfect question for a VPL guy. ;-)

> Personally, I would disable it because IMHO Kafka sucks right now, and this
> is bad for the image of Quanta and the developers itselves; and more
> important than that, if I can't do a thing that is good or useful, I won't
> do it at all.

In that case it should have never been there. If it can do something to some
degree of adequacy we can at least say it's there and keep some people happy.
Removing things is a good way to find out who was using it when they start
complaining, and when VPL didn't build once we already experienced this.

Given that our objectives have primarily been focused on KDE 4 and KDE 3.5 is
a short release I'd like to see VPL at least on a par with KDE 3.4. I don't
think there is much choice as some people use it and KHTML and KDOM look good
for KDE 4.

Eric