List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] team configuration is broken
From:       Andras Mantia <amantia () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-08-22 20:45:19

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 22 August 2005 12:13, Jens Herden wrote:
> Hi Andras,
>
> I am a bit lost because I can not get an overview about all this
> stuff. And I do not want to spend so much time with it without clear
> specification what we want to achieve. If you, as the person who is
> working on it, tell me that I should ask Erik

...the Viking. ;-)

> than I get the
> impression that something is hacked together without any concept. I
> do not want to participate in this too much.

The real concept is to coordinate the work of a team inside Quanta. It
was/is not fully used right now, but this information is a base that we
can use for team related features.

> Anyway here some more remarks, maybe they are helpfull:
> > > which means I can send mails. What else?
> > > If it is only mails a name and a mailaddress would be sufficient.
> >
> > But you don't have to know who is the subproject or team leader
> > (they can change).
>
> So in this case you send to a person identified by its role and not
> by the name.

In this case, yes.

> In case of annotations you address a person by its nickname and not
> by its role, right?
I though that you could do in both ways.

> In this case one nickname must be used only by
> one person. That means the nickname is already the unique identifier
> otherwise you do not know whom to display the annotation.

Yes. It identifies a person.

> Using two different ways for similar tasks (sending email and sending
> annotations) is quite a bad design, because it is hard for the user
> to follow this concepts. You force the user to mix two concepts of
> addressing people here.

Sending email is related to actions, while writing addressed annotations
are related to the workflow (commenting the code). I don't see where do
they intersect.

> Oh yes, I found it. But why is this unique? I can assign the same
> nickname to two different addresses here.

Unique in Quanta and in most cases because the nickname is used (mostly)
in instant messaging where it should be unique. The fact that
KAddressbook doesn't treat as unique might be because if the persons
don't use the same IM service, than the nicks can be the same. But
inside Quanta they are unique as they are also inside AOL, Yahoo
Messenger and so.

> Another remark, if nickname is the unique identifier it should be the
> first line in the dialog. The most important data should come first.
> And, if I understood it correct now, the name is optional because it
> is not used for anything, right?
It is visual information and used when sending a mail to somebody (team
leader for example).

> Oh is this working already?
No.

> Will it be documented? I could not find
> any documentation for the annotations yet.
Yes (according to my plans). But I cannot document something that:
- is not complete (and may change a little)
- is only partially finished

Andras