List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    [quanta-devel] KDevQuanta - big step ahead
From:       Andras Mantia <amantia () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-07-24 6:48:48

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi,

 Today I committed the result of the last week's work to the svn. As
always the repository module is "branches/work/kdevquanta".
There are some big improvements in this version, I will try to remember
and list the most important in them:
- a project plugin: this means that it is possible to work with projects
now. The project format is different from the old one, so it is not
possible to open your old .webprj file. The new files have .quanta
extension and are basicly .kdevelop files (XML). The project internally
works with KURL objects, but the framework does not, so working with
remote projects is not yet possible.
- a project treeview plugin. It is possible to use with KDevQuanta the
standard File Tree plugin of KDevelop (which presents the project files
as well), but ours is more improved. For example it has a quick search
bar.
- create new project plugin: the port of the old new wizard,  but we
tried to make it more sane (codewise) and the UI easier to use.
- preview plugin: for internal preview. Now the preview updates itself
automatically as you type.
- completed and rewritten autocompletion. According to my testings it
should work just like before.
- group and quick search support added to the structure tree
- the user toolbars now display the icons of the actions
- inserting new files to the project from the treeviews is possible with
a "quick browser" method (like K menu->Quick browser or the Copy to
action in Konqueror)
- lots of code cleanup in the common library and the other plugins
- introduced a TODO file with known problems, to-dos

Theoretically you can use any KDevelop plugin with this version (like
VCS plugins), although the default profile includes only some. Use
"kdevprofileeditor", select the "quanta" profile and add some new
properties under "Own properties". After closing this application and
restarting Quanta, you will see the new plugins automatically loaded or
you may need them to enable in the Project Options.

I'm wondering if anybody tried this aside of us, but I would be happy if
I would get some feedback.
As I said earlier to try out you need:
- KDevelop from KDE 3.4 or trunk installed (compilation requirement)
- Quanta 3.4 or trunk (runtime requirement)

Just install the new version to the same directory where your KDE and
Quanta is and start with "kuanta". It works in parallel with the old
Quanta.

Andras