List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] Re: KDOM
From:       Leo Savernik <l.savernik () aon ! at>
Date:       2005-05-20 15:03:21

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Am Donnerstag, 19. Mai 2005 16:22 schrieb Paulo Moura Guedes:
> Nikolas, It's great knews you started to port khtml. Leo, do you know how
> much your editing tree will be affected by this?

If you mean Caret Mode II vpl is currently based upon, it'll have to go for
KDE4. I (or somebody else if he's faster ;-) ) will merge the designmode
implementation from WebCore 415 into khtml as basically done in the
designmode_branch.

> I'm thinking that if
> Quanta is going to be ported to kdom two things can happen:
> 1. We could drop the two trees hell.
> 2. We could make use of Leo's editing stuff and use its API design to
> extend features.

designmode is not extensible from the outside yet, so we'll have to see what
hooks are needed in the future. But most important, it should be merged at
least.

> That could bring inimaginable benefits for VPL! I'm very interested on
> starting to work in this direction and rewrite VPL stuff in a clean and
> object oriented way.

With KDOM using Quanta's parser and creating DOM nodes with Quanta-specific
information (yet still compatible to khtml's DOM nodes), designmode won't be
affected and can serve as a replacement for the vpl editing code you now
have.

mfg
	Leo