List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] Annotation support
From:       Andras Mantia <amantia () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-04-24 10:16:38

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday 24 April 2005 04:16, Jens Herden wrote:
> Hi Andras,
>
> I just updated Quanta to see what you did and I have more remarks to
> write:
>
> Please do not show more information than necessary! So please do
> _not_ write "File:" and the whole project path. This is redundant and
> makes it very hard to find the important information: the relative
> path to the file.
>
> Please do not show a column number if it has no use. I was not able
> to get other columns than 1 so this is just noise in the
> userinterface. Anyway I see no real reason for columns at all.

I've commented this in the first mail: "the annotation view is a little
stupid, as it uses the standard
Messages output widget."

Of course that I don't want to show such information, nor full file
paths.

> Please rethink the separation between the two tabs "All Files" and
> "Annotated Files". Why should I use "Annotated Files" if I do not see
> what is inside of the file?
The All Files is an overview of all annotations in every file. The
Annotated Files shows only th filenames, thus making it much smaller
and easier to overview to find what's annotated. The idea here is (as
far as I understood Eric), that it will help team development. A team
member could annotate a file and assign that the information is
relevant for some other team members, and the others will get a list
with the annotated files. The 3rd view would help this.

> It is even worse, you show the first
> annotation in the file what leads me to the impression that there is
> only one!

Where do I show only the first one?

> I have to switch to the file or to the other tab to see
> that there are actually more. Better would be to put both information
> in one tab and use a treeview. First level the filenames with
> relative path and second level the linenumber and the text in a
> second column.

Might be a solution.

Andras