List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] Logic vs Visual Editor
From:       Andras Mantia <amantia () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-03-18 18:35:43

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 18 March 2005 20:16, Paulo Moura Guedes wrote:
>         <i>
>                 <strong>
>                         <strong>   (*)
>
>                                 |Strong text
>
>                         </strong>  (*)
>                         Non strong text|
>                 </strong>
>         </i>

(*) looks funny in KMail from 3.4. :-)

> Now my question is if the strong tag marked with (*) should be
> removed. If we go to a logic editor it wont, but in a visual
> perspective it should be removed because it's redundant.
I think in VPL it should be removed, and in source editor the behavior
should depend on the Smart Tag Insertion setting.

> However we
> can define semantics in CSS to the strong tag and say that if it is
> inside another strong tag it's displayed in a determined way. Or we
> can "unbold" that selection and it would be nice to have only that
> portion in bold again. I would go for this logic approach but I'd
> like to hear your opinions.

If you do that, should you use some kind of class attribute for the
second strong tag? Of course removal should happen only if the two tags
are completely the same, including the attributes.

> Another thing... it's necessary to define the scope of the tag
> actions individually. This can be easily defined in the action XML
> file I think. For example, if you have the cursor inside a word and
> press bold, the action will change that word, i.e., the scope is a
> word. However if you change the horizontal alignment the scope should
> be a line or a paragraph. I would like to receive recommendations for
> this last case.

Usually this is solved by selections. The scope is the selected text.
I've just tried KWord and pressing B on a word does not change the
word's boldness. Alignments do have a line scope though.

> Should we make the scope a line, <br>, <p>...
>
> BTW, the algorithms for handling this tag actions are almost ready so
> it shouldn't take much longer to have this all new behavior finished
> :)

I'm wondering if we need scope informations where should it be: the
action file or the description of the tag. I believe in the latter.

Andras