List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    [quanta-devel] Logic vs Visual Editor
From:       Paulo Moura Guedes <moura () kdewebdev ! org>
Date:       2005-03-18 18:16:58

Hi,

Take this:

        <i>
                <strong>
                        |Strong text
                </strong>
                Non strong text|
        </i>

If you select that text and apply the bold action all that text should be made
bold, because it's a mixed selection and that is the standard behavior in
editors:

        <i>
                <strong>
                        <strong>   (*)
                                |Strong text
                        </strong>  (*)
                        Non strong text|
                </strong>
        </i>

Now my question is if the strong tag marked with (*) should be removed. If we
go to a logic editor it wont, but in a visual perspective it should be
removed because it's redundant. However we can define semantics in CSS to the
strong tag and say that if it is inside another strong tag it's displayed in
a determined way. Or we can "unbold" that selection and it would be nice to
have only that portion in bold again. I would go for this logic approach but
I'd like to hear your opinions.

Another thing... it's necessary to define the scope of the tag actions
individually. This can be easily defined in the action XML file I think.
For example, if you have the cursor inside a word and press bold, the action
will change that word, i.e., the scope is a word. However if you change the
horizontal alignment the scope should be a line or a paragraph. I would like
to receive recommendations for this last case. Should we make the scope a
line, <br>, <p>...

BTW, the algorithms for handling this tag actions are almost ready so it
shouldn't take much longer to have this all new behavior finished :)

--
Paulo Moura Guedes

Linux Caixa Mágica  - http://caixamagica.org
KDE Web Development - http://kdewebdev.org