List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] VPL toolbars
From:       Paulo Moura Guedes <moura () kdewebdev ! org>
Date:       2005-03-08 16:32:03

On Tuesday 08 March 2005 16:22, Andras Mantia wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 March 2005 17:58, Paulo Moura Guedes wrote:
> > If some buttons are common to both views some are not. This is the
> > case of new line, paragraph, non breaking space, etc. I think it's
> > consensual that we can't have exactly the same stuff on both views.
>
> I can understand that some buttons does not make sense in case of VPL,
> but this doesn't mean we need a new toolbar for VPL.

Ok, we can disable some buttons in VPL and keep the others. I can't think of
cases where a button makes sense in VPL but not in source.

> > Besides that, I want to implement a different behavior on some
> > buttons. For example I want the bold toolbar button to behave like a
> > word editor, i.e., to be toggled on when inside a <strong> tag and to
> > exit that tag when you toggle it off. The same applies to some other
> > buttons.
>
> Let's see the different action types. We should not care about what is
> inside the actions, just the type:
> 1. tag actions:
> - in source simply the selected text is surrounded by the <tag> and
> </tag> and in case of the tag dialog is allowed, it is called for the
> beginning <tag>. If it's a single tag, it's inserted at the cursor
> position.
> - VPL should do the same: if something is selected, it should be
> surrounded by the <tag> in DOM tree. If it's a single tag, it should be
> inserted in the DOM tree at the correct position.
>
> Now what about the word-processor like behavior? This should also be a
> global behavior both in source and VPL.

It would be cool that VPL would do something better than the source mode, for
a change ;)

> You can look up the DOM tree for the tag name that is about to be inserted
and remove from there if it's already present. Same thing can be done in the
source in the Node tree.

> 2. script actions: there nothing I can see which prevents them using
> VPL. VPL can provide a selection as input, the result can be inserted
> into VPL. Some code might be added if VPL want to process the inserted
> text as HTML and not as plain text.
>
> 3. text action: same here. You can treat as simple text or process the
> HTML tags inside.
>
> This is why I say, we should make VPL work with the current (and future)
> toolbars and not provide some VPL specific toolbars and actions.

Ok, I will try to change the behavior for both source and VPL modes.
--
Paulo Moura Guedes

Linux Caixa Mágica  - http://caixamagica.org
KDE Web Development - http://kdewebdev.org