List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Excessive number of Linux distributions harms Open Source
From:       marbux <marbux () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-06-26 20:16:53

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 6:45 AM, john Culleton <John@wexfordpress.com> wrote:
> and presto I have a new thread. So what is the problem?

You describe what happens in your email client, not at the other end
of the communication, which can vary. For example, in Gmail I got your
email with the new title in both a new thread *and* the old thread. In
other email clients no new thread will be created.

It depends on how the various email clients handle threading of
emails from existing threads with different titles. The only way I
know of to avoid inflicting such unpredictable results is to start a
reply to the original message you wish to fork from, copy the portions
you wish to quote, close the editor and open a fresh email for editing
and give it a new title, then paste the stuff you want to quote to the
new email.

Regards,

Paul