List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Quanta 4 - Congrats and Thank you
From:       Milian Wolff <mail () milianw ! de>
Date:       2010-07-15 21:01:54

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Sasha Andric, 15.07.2010:
> So, I finally got to try Quanta 4. I did just local install and I did not
> follow Milan's instructions for setting up environment, so some of my
> comments might not be relevant.
>
> Overall this is huge improvement over Quanta 3 but it is just not polished
> yet.
>
> Only part I am missing to start using it right now is ability to have
> custom script run when file is saved.

Noted.

> Other than that it would be nice to have:
>
> - ability to set per project encoding. I know it is all UTF8 now, but some
> of us still have old projects hanging around

Actually that reminds me: I'll have to talk with Niko about whether our PHP
parser supports anything-but-utf8. If not, I have to change that of course!

> - to have project views/sessions. Similar to current sessions, but saved
> per project. That way I could chose which part of the project I am working
> on and open multiple files with click.

Have you tried working sets? That should be just what you want. They are also
saved in the session, hence stay over application restarts. They are not
project specific, but that is not applicable anymore, since you can have
multiple projects open at the same time.

> - I added project SQL database. Password was saved in plain text. I think
> this should use kwallet in a same way upload profiles do.

Noted.

> - Bookmarks should be persistent. In Quanta 3 this was one of per-project
> settings.

Yeah, have to talk to the Kate guys about that.

> - Import for old Quanta projects (including file bookmarks and upload
> profiles and file upload status).
>
> Things that seemed broken, but it could be due to my installation (I did
> not want to overwrite and replace Quanta 3 as it is still my main editor):
>
> - Menus seem a bit messed up:
> 	- "View" has only single item "external previews"
> 	- "Toolbars" has couple options, Load/Save, but they do nothing
> 	- "Plugins" is empty
> 	- "No Text", has View, Bookmarks, Tools and Settings submenus.
> 	- "Settings" menu item is crippled too.

This indicates that something went really wrong, I bet it's taking the quanta3
version of the UI file in ~/.kde/share/apps/quanta/ instead of the new one...
Have to test that myself. To try it out, move the existing one and start
Quanta again (make sure you don't delete it, to keep your Quanta 3 settings).

> - I use style cloudcity, and it does not seem to always play well with with
> all window options. Line/Col number is too low. Bottom docks do always
> resize themselves properly when activated.

Report it to the style author. QtCurve, Oxygen and afaik also Bespin all work
with KDevelop/Quanta

> - When I added project upload profile, I had to restart Quanta to actually
> get "Upload profile" dock to show and to get Upload options when
> right-clicking the file.

Noted, will have to investigate.

> Anyway, I am rather excited about Quanta - again. This thing is really
> shaping up very very very nicely. Bit thanks to everyone involved

Wow, thanks for the positive words, really encouraging. I'll make sure those
involved will read this mail. Thanks!
--
Milian Wolff
mail@milianw.de