List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Kubuntu 9.10
From:       James Ellis <james.ellis () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-11-02 0:04:10

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hi

Quanta + KDE4 works completely well, you just have to remember that Quanta
is a KDE3 app and to install Qt3 libraries etc (aptitude search libqt3 for
starters on the shell). There is a dependency issue as as been mentioned but
you can get around that by installing the KDE3 versions of the dependencies.
KDE4 has been around since Jan 2008 so you can't really blame the distro or
KDE4 in itself as the problem if they decide to leave non-updated KDE3 apps
behind (I think Quanta and the nearly-ready K3b are the only major ones left
?) I've had hoth KDE3.5 and KDE4 running on the same laptop and the resource
usage is about the same. I have KDE4 running on a 6yr old with 1G RAM and a
64M nvidia card - startup in karmic actually got faster as has the desktop.
I'd never go back.

Personally, I think the move to get Quanta4 going as a web oriented version
of Kdevelop4 is a great idea as it doesn't mean reinventing the wheel. The
benefits of using Qt4 Webkit should be seen as a good example for doing this
(think previews)

The KDE developers have made it pretty clear that KDE3.5 will still be
around if you want to use it -- you just have to find a distro that will
support it. For me, I see KDE4 as a huge improvement both technically and in
the UI/desktop. The ability to easily script widgets for the desktop is
something web developers should be very excited about.

For those experiencing load/CPU issues, a good first step is to work out
what's actually causing it. For starters, install the CPU widget on the
desktop and watch as you turn Desktop Effects off (if you don't need them,
turn them off) or shut-down programs. As an example, I had a churning CPU
through KDE4.3 which turned out to be the Magic Lamp/Minimise effects, for
which there is a bug report on bugs.kde.org. I read it, turned them off and
bingo.

My biggest complaint is the seeming lack of resources in Ubuntu to
investigate and fix Kubuntu bugs. Karmic seems to the first release where
KDE4 has actually gotten some energy behind it (whether from Canonical or
elsewhere, I don't know).

HTH
James