List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Quanta & KDE4? openSuSE dumping KDE3 for 11.2 Release.
From:       marbux <marbux () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-10-30 14:18:04

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 6:20 AM, John Culleton <john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:

> May I suggest XFCE?   That solves the productivity problem but
> doesn't help with Quanta.

Thanks. I've currently got XFCE, Xmonad (both atop Ubuntu 8.04), and
WinXP Pro all installed as virtual machines (using Virtual Box) with
KDE 3.5 on Kubuntu 8.04 as the host. Kind of testing the waters in my
personal time on a possible switch to Unbuntu 8.04 with XFCE or Xmonad
as the host and KDE 3.5/Ubuntu (and WinXP for WordPerfect) as guests
on a second box I'm building. Lets me get my work done in KDE 3.5.in
the meantime.

I may wait to make the decision until more details are available on
what Google plans to do with Xmonad and Chromium for its netbook OS
project. If Google intends to plow lots of dev resources into Xmonad
development, it just be the one for me. I may test others too. But one
of my main criteria is a developer history of a demonstrable concern
for user productivity in subsequent releases.

XFCE as implemented by Puppy appeals to me. But lots to learn. I'm
about ready to try substituting Ubuntu 8.04 for Puppy.

But always interested in hearing about better ways forward so long as
they don't require overnight radical change.

Best regards,

Paul

--
Universal Interoperability Council