List:       quanta
Subject:    [Quanta] A little activity from the founder is good
From:       Eric Laffoon <eric () kdewebdev ! org>
Date:       2009-10-10 7:43:39

Hi all,
sorry not to have been around for a while. I guess I have have done quite a
bit over the years so maybe a vacation is in order. I don't know how many
people use Kommander here. This IS relevant to Quanta so you may want to read.

I am in the process of updating my web site and I run my business with
database tools that I wrote in Kommander. in doing this I have added a lot of
functionality to Kommander. I know everyone wants to see a KDE 4 version of
Quanta, and so do I. However I am using KMyMoney and it's still just recently
finished it's KDE 3 path and is starting to move to KDE4. It will take time no
doubt. We have somewhat of a head start.

What I have seen that is really amazing is what I can do with Kommander. It
started as a simple dialog program and now I have it running full on
applications. It requires a fraction as much code as many programs and I have
nearly 40,000 lines of Kommander code in my applications. Here are some things
that they do...
* hacked together MainWindow frames that load KParts
* data display, entry and editing
* synchronization with external web sites to keep order information up to date
on all
* beginnings of telephone integration

In short I have a pretty comprehensive application running on KDE3 technology.
Like Quanta it is partly ported to KDE4. Now I'm ready to work on that as I
have completed my primary objectives on KDE3 which can easily be ported. As I
have been learning C++ it was easier to work on a familiar and fully working
environment. Once I have a working design environment for Kommander on KDE4
and port my new functionality I have to dos some specific things on KDE4 like
main window,new container and new database functionality.

Next I can get more involved in Quanta. I know some things are being done on
it but it's not complete. My objective is to make sure it can effectively
operate with core functionality...
1) KDevelop platform (don't get me started)
2) Quanta core plugins and C++ libraries
3) plugin parts that are not as computationally intensive as parsers and such

My idea is to make it easy to extend and customize Quanta with an incredibly
easy tool like Kommander. Kommander had hundreds of dialog based applications
distributed with much less going for it than it has now, and way less than it
will. I have no illusions that I still won't have to do most of it, but I
cling to my absurd ideals because there is no compelling reason for me to
accept reality where it is basically a hobby for me.

So as I develop a workable platform for Kommander on KDE4 I will ramp up on
Quanta activity and begin organizing and planning a release.

Just an aside, I mentioned money before, but not lately. I have been trying to
get my wife and business partner to operate smarter and see the potential of
our business. I'm making small progress but things are getting better.
Nonetheless the reason I have not been working on this more is financial
stress... and point that is worth noting that if our most devoted users made
some small contribution I would be both happier and more motivated... maybe
even guilty if I didn't code more. ;-)

For those interested there will be a final release of Kommander on KDE3 which
includes 2D arrays and dozens of usability improvements and requests like menu
buttons, sortable grids, color control, geometry... it's just vastly richer to
play with than it used to be, and it's just going to get better.

I have a big show in a few weeks and my holiday season starts. I'm going to
look to program as a form of relaxation and recreation. I enjoy it. Cool stuff
- I just got myself the newest Archos 5 Internet Tablet with Android. I got
the 32 GB as I have a 250 GB Archos 5 (last generation). http://archos.com I'd
be very happy to scratch up the funds to get one for the wife as she has taken
a shine to it.

There will be a vastly improved KDE4 version of Quanta, after a basic port of
course. Sometimes it just takes a little patience. Oh, and for those people
who wish to make some comment about whether time is money... I don't care if
you do it somewhere else, but it's not particularly useful to me. If you
aren't writing code or sponsoring time sit down, shut up and wait for others
to find time and resources.
--
Eric Laffoon
kdewebdev project founder