List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] quanta won't start
From:       Ian Smith <iansamit () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-08-27 10:43:53

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Michael,

This may be an even more drastic solution, and how useful it is to you would
depend on a) how much you need to use quanta, and probably b) how much you
*just need* to solve this mystery :-)

I keep a couple of spare user accounts for such cases (and no, I haven't had
a similar problem with quanta, but have with other apps). In fact setting up
a spare user account only takes a few minutes and a MB or so of disk-space.

Once you've done that, log out, log into your new account, and see if you
can start quanta from there. If that works, at least you know the problem is
something to do with your personal settings; if not, your OS must have
somehow got corrupted.

If it's your settings, then you have a temporary fix and a way forward.
While you sort out the problem, you can run two sessions simultaneously
(changing between them with Ctrl+Alt+F7 and Ctrl+Alt+F8) using the first
session with your normal account for other applications, and the second
session just for quanta - not ideal but not as much of a hassle as you might
think.

Then, you can either start poking around with your original account to see
what's different to your new clean one, or just give up on it, and work to
get the new account to your liking.

If it's not your settings, then you probably need to bite the bullent and
re-install your OS. That's a drastic step indeed, but at least you would
know by then that you had pretty much exhausted other options.

Cheers
Ian