List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] confused about starting a new project
From:       Werner Joss <werner () hoernerfranzracing ! de>
Date:       2009-08-19 15:24:52

Am Wednesday 19 August 2009 16:34:48 schrieb Michael Friendly:
> I'm new to Quanta+ and am trying to figure out how to use it to manage,
> edit, and test a web site created for me on a remote host on my local
> development machine, also a server.  The site uses PHP almost entirely
> and is backed by an SQL database.
>
> I made a local copy of the remote site file tree, and am confused about
> how to set this up as a Quanta project.  Should I use the Local protocol
> with the Main directory on my local machine or sftp protocol, with the
> Main directory on the remote site?
>
> If the former (Local), I assume I will need to configure my local
> (apache) server to recognize this file tree.

correct.
if you have already a local web/database server running, this is the
recommended setup.
you'll have the chance to thoroughly test everything before transferring
changes to the live installation.
additionally, you always have an automatic backup all the time :)
just configure the upload profile in quanta correctly and you can sync the
remote site with just hitting 'F8' ..

> If sftp, how do I test
> things before they go live?

in this case, the live system is also the test candidate (not recommended) -
see above.

HTH

werner