List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Quanta & KDE4? openSuSE dumping KDE3 for 11.2 Release.
From:       Ian Smith <iansamit () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-04-19 21:52:25

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

> Until KDE4 is ready to go, and can step up to the functionality provided
> by kde3, we should not be sacrificing functionality on false promises of
> performance that does not exist at present.

Well in all fairness, we don't have to, at least for a while yet. Opensuse
11.0 will still be supported for quite a while and 11.1 for even longer. I
assume other distros are in the same position. The move to KDE4 has been
troublesome to say the least, but Aaron Seigo explained the need for the
radical departure very well in his blog. KDE3 may well be working flawlessly
for us users, but the codebase was becoming impossible to maintain. Without
engaging in the development of KDE myself, I'm prepared to take his word for
it.

Anyway, as you said:

KDE3 isn't dead, it's working flawlessly with quanta 3.5.

Each of us has to decide when the time is right to make the move. If KDE4
still doesn't have the functionality you need by the time opensuse 11.2 is
realeased, why not just stay with the version you're using if it's working
flawlessly?

Ian