List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Dangerous "feature?" [More Info]
From:       "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty () suddenlinkmail ! com>
Date:       2009-04-01 8:16:21

David C. Rankin wrote:
> Andras Mantia wrote:
>> On Thursday 19 February 2009, Simon Dawson wrote:
>>> My normal behaviour  is that I get two dialogue boxes appear. The
>>> first is 'Are yousue you want toremove from project?' and the next is
>>> 'Do you want to remove the files from the server as well?' so I'm not
>>> really sure why yours is not asking the second question.
>> That's the default behavior. He probably checked once the "Do not ask
>> again" checkbox in the dialog. I'm sorry to say, but this was a user
>> error...
>>> I can't see anything in the preferences but I guess there may be an
>>> option to do it automatically without asking - but it certainly is
>>> not NORMAL behaviour.
>> You can turn on all such warning in Settings->Configure Quanta->User
>> Interface->Show all warning messages.
>>
>> Andras
>
> Thanks  Andras,
>

> 	Yes, I did not have the "Show all warning messages" selected. I don't remember
> clearing though. Regardless, nothing was lost as the icons, etc.. all have
> backups, but I was just really surprised when the big delete occurred.
>
> 	Thanks again, and keep up the great work with quanta+!

Listmates,

	I just figured out how the '[ ] Don't show this message again' box got checked
and why I was so shocked when 1/2 my server was deleted on a subsequent remove
of files.

	The problem was that the [ ] box was check in a situation that had *nothing*
to do with removing files. What happened to cause the switch to get set in the
first place was that I had *renamed* a file and thinking I was setting the [ ]
box for file renames I chose the '[ ] Don't show this message again' box.

	I now understand that there are *not* two different chances to click the box,
and the situation I encountered with the rename prompt actually disable all
checks from the next time I went to *remove* files as well.

	How in the heck that dang box got checked to begin with has been bugging me
since for the past month and a half. Tonight I had added a .pdf to my project
for use in my gpu comparison page, it was originally named nvVGA.pdf, but since
it applied to MSI cards (both radeon and nvidia) I decided to rename it to
msiVGA.pdf before publishing it to my site. Low-and-behold, when I clicked
rename and changed the filename, the remove '[ ] Don't show this message again'
box appeared and the light bulb went on.

	I had never disabled the prompt on remove, I had disabled it during a rename
operation. That's what caught me by surprise because at the time all my files
disappeared, I didn't know that there was only 1 disable option in preferences
and that it didn't make a difference whether it was disabled on a rename or
remove command, all protections against the auto-delete were disable any time
that box got checked.

	I don't know how hard it would be, but it seems like the easiest way to make
sure nobody gets bitten by this again would be to simply add a
dontPromptOnRename=(0/1) and also leave the existing parameter as the
dontPromptOfRemove=(0/1). That way you can manage the propmt independently for
both rename and remove without the confusion that removing the prompt for
rename is actually removing to prompt for everything.

	(Yes, I do know that a rename is nothing more than a copy and remove, but I
sure as heck wasn't thinking about that when the rename dialog box presented
the '[ ] Don't show this message again'.

	See, even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while ;-)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC