David C. Rankin wrote: > Andras Mantia wrote: >> On Thursday 19 February 2009, Simon Dawson wrote: >>> My normal behaviour is that I get two dialogue boxes appear. The >>> first is 'Are yousue you want toremove from project?' and the next is >>> 'Do you want to remove the files from the server as well?' so I'm not >>> really sure why yours is not asking the second question. >> That's the default behavior. He probably checked once the "Do not ask >> again" checkbox in the dialog. I'm sorry to say, but this was a user >> error... >>> I can't see anything in the preferences but I guess there may be an >>> option to do it automatically without asking - but it certainly is >>> not NORMAL behaviour. >> You can turn on all such warning in Settings->Configure Quanta->User >> Interface->Show all warning messages. >> >> Andras > > Thanks Andras, > > > Yes, I did not have the "Show all warning messages" selected. I don't remember > clearing though. Regardless, nothing was lost as the icons, etc.. all have > backups, but I was just really surprised when the big delete occurred. > > Thanks again, and keep up the great work with quanta+! > Listmates, I just figured out how the '[ ] Don't show this message again' box got checked and why I was so shocked when 1/2 my server was deleted on a subsequent remove of files. The problem was that the [ ] box was check in a situation that had *nothing* to do with removing files. What happened to cause the switch to get set in the first place was that I had *renamed* a file and thinking I was setting the [ ] box for file renames I chose the '[ ] Don't show this message again' box. I now understand that there are *not* two different chances to click the box, and the situation I encountered with the rename prompt actually disable all checks from the next time I went to *remove* files as well. How in the heck that dang box got checked to begin with has been bugging me since for the past month and a half. Tonight I had added a .pdf to my project for use in my gpu comparison page, it was originally named nvVGA.pdf, but since it applied to MSI cards (both radeon and nvidia) I decided to rename it to msiVGA.pdf before publishing it to my site. Low-and-behold, when I clicked rename and changed the filename, the remove '[ ] Don't show this message again' box appeared and the light bulb went on. I had never disabled the prompt on remove, I had disabled it during a rename operation. That's what caught me by surprise because at the time all my files disappeared, I didn't know that there was only 1 disable option in preferences and that it didn't make a difference whether it was disabled on a rename or remove command, all protections against the auto-delete were disable any time that box got checked. I don't know how hard it would be, but it seems like the easiest way to make sure nobody gets bitten by this again would be to simply add a dontPromptOnRename=(0/1) and also leave the existing parameter as the dontPromptOfRemove=(0/1). That way you can manage the propmt independently for both rename and remove without the confusion that removing the prompt for rename is actually removing to prompt for everything. (Yes, I do know that a rename is nothing more than a copy and remove, but I sure as heck wasn't thinking about that when the rename dialog box presented the '[ ] Don't show this message again'. See, even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while ;-) -- David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E. Rankin Law Firm, PLLC 510 Ochiltree Street Nacogdoches, Texas 75961 Telephone: (936) 715-9333 Facsimile: (936) 715-9339 www.rankinlawfirm.com _______________________________________________ Quanta mailing list Quanta@mail.kde.org https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/quanta