List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Secure upload to remote server?
From:       Andrew Lowe <andrew.lowe () manildra ! com ! au>
Date:       2008-11-19 1:34:41

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 12:12:39 James Ellis wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 November 2008 05:45:26 stefano franchi wrote:
> > Actually that's almost what I did a couple of weeks ago. I had been
> > running 8.04  with 3.5.9 (I believe) with 4.0 installed alongside. Then I
> > upgraded to 8.10. It looks like the 3.5.x kde stuff has been wiped out.
>
> Yes, KDE 4 will replace KDE 3 in Kubuntu 8.10, with the exception of those
> apps that are not yet KDE4. In previous versions KDE4 was installed to a
> different path.
>
> Regarding your upload question, if you have SSH access to your remote
> server I'd suggest looking at using a version control system for your
> projects and committing changes then updating a remote server that way.
> For instance, I use Bazaar for versioning and can either provide a patch
> file (using bzr send) or if the change is for a client I don't host then
> the bzr upload plugin works fine - it will upload only the changes files in
> the current branch to your FTP location.
> There are various other methods with other VCS's -- distributed or
> otherwise.
>
> HTH
> James

+1 to James suggestion.  Using a source control system is essential.  I use
subversion still, and once I am happy with the changes, svn commit on my
machine, and svn update on the server to publish.
The bonus is that you can roll back changes if you mess something up!

I very rarely work on the live server directly - and after changes are always
published to subversion.

It also works well where you have multiple developers working on the same
projects... you just need to keep your copy up to date using svn up before
making and publishing changes.

--
Andrew Lowe
    System Administrator & Programmer