List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Alternative to Quanta?
From:       Bobby <bobby () d4business ! com>
Date:       2008-09-30 15:05:40

On Sunday 28 September 2008 03:10:55 James Sinnamon wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 1:14 AM, <eric@kdewebdev.org> wrote:
> > Using Quanta, scripting and Kommander it is possible to not only
> > substantively transform Quanta, you can also (as a non-programmer) create
> > and install plugins. You can add language support and create custom
> > actions for virtually every project interaction. I defy anyone to show me
> > any other tool you can do that with.
> >
> > The previous poster is right. Bluefish and Amaya are not close! In fact
> > for the last 4 years Quanta has handily beat all web develop$ent tools on
> > Linux in reliable polls. KDevelop is also late for KDE4 but a recent poll
> > found for all IDEs it and Quanta topped the individual leader, the
> > heavily IBM supported Eclipse.
> > <snip/>
>
> I appreciate Quanta and agree that it stands at least head and shoulders
> above anything else I have used.  It would take decades for anything else to
> catch up, even if Quanta were to stand still.

Though I fully agree that Quanta is way ahead of the others, nothing takes
decades to catch up to. Especially if you simply branch off from Quanta, or
duplicate the features on a re-write. Unless of course the management and/or
programmers are really weak.

Otherwise I fully agree. The main things I like (in no particular order) is
the color coding, completion of brackets, two click uploading to website, and
the accessable documentation. I also like the interface and how easy it is to
have many projects.

Though I use Kate and Kedit a lot for smaller jobs. With KDE supporting ssh
(fish://) on file open's I can pick up files anywhere under any user. That
makes it a cinch to do all the work from one computer regardless of where you
are.

--

Bobby