List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Alternative to Quanta?
From:       "James Sinnamon" <james.sinnamon () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-09-28 7:10:55

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

(please forward to  quanta@mail.kde.org. I don't have access to my normal
e-mail account. )

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 1:14 AM, <eric@kdewebdev.org> wrote:

> Using Quanta, scripting and Kommander it is possible to not only
> substantively transform Quanta, you can also (as a non-programmer) create
> and install plugins. You can add language support and create custom actions
> for virtually every project interaction. I defy anyone to show me any other
> tool you can do that with.
>
> The previous poster is right. Bluefish and Amaya are not close! In fact for
> the last 4 years Quanta has handily beat all web develop$ent tools on Linux
> in reliable polls. KDevelop is also late for KDE4 but a recent poll found
> for all IDEs it and Quanta topped the individual leader, the heavily IBM
> supported Eclipse.
> <snip/>

I appreciate Quanta and agree that it stands at least head and shoulders
above anything else I have used.  It would take decades for anything else to
catch up, even if Quanta were to stand still. Being away from my Debian KDE
Linux machine and being now forced to use Windoze XP and Notepad++ (a fairly
good open source text editor - but not html editor) I miss Quanta terribly.

I feel bad that I have personally not given money for many years to Quanta
and many other magnificent open source projects.  I can only plead that I
don't have much money and that I give an enormous amount of my own time and
considerable money to internet environmental and political activism.

If we thought outside the box it would be so easy to properly remunerate
people who create software such as Quanta.  We should simply loosened the
public purse and gave a bit more money to organisations such as Universities
to employ more people to write open source software and recognise the
enormous public benefit that would result.  We should not insist that the
writing of software be made to conform to today's inappropriate business
models.

However that would entail questioning the ideology of economic
neo-liberalism which still drives just about all public policy decisions
these days.

regards,

James Sinnamon